Friday, February 15, 2013

Three Words That Can Heal Conflict

 

I saw them years ago, those three words, in the library of a convent.They appeared on a lovely banner, they spoke to my heart, as well as my mind. I never forgot them.
  
KINDNESS SPOKEN HERE

Their application lay dormant in me, until I heard a radio program in which a protestant minister, a professor of homiletics, asked his seminarian students, "What are the most important three things to include in a sermon?"

The seminarians offered a variety of Biblical teachings. They then asked the professor, "What three things would you include?" His answer still sings in my heart, "Be kind, be kind, be kind." Suffice to say, I never forgot that either.

But it was the other morning, with Lent approaching, that the Holy Spirit seemed to inspire and challenge me.       
              
 How to promote the use of those three words into a multicultural project?

Yes, to start with a prayer that will ripple beyond our most hope filled dreams. How do we start?

To my good fortune, my friend Jean in Florida told me about her granddaughter who is a beautiful teacher of young children in Latin America. She will recommend that the phrase "Kindness Spoken Here" be exposed in classrooms, synagogues, churches, mosques, even gymnasiums.

I just learned that Ann, a dear friend of mine is flying to Australia to be with her sick son. While there I'm asking her to spread these three words wherever and whenever she can.  In addition, my beloved Nigerian nun friends, Sister Mary Paul and Sister Philomena, as well as my sponsors in the School Sisters of Notre Dame, who teach in Africa, will share the "Kindness Spoken Here" message.

Finally, my teacher friends in the United Sates are enthusiastic about the possibilities of children's creative artwork, interpreting those beautiful words, "Kindness Spoke Here." More than just the words of course, the impact, the warmth, oh the comfort.

 I also see these three words enveloped in a Pentecostal hue, a time when people of many different languages heard the same message. How kaleidoscopic is that?! It is my deepest prayer that these three words will ripple across the valleys and mountains, across the borders that divide, rather than this blessing that heals.

My dear readers, how about commenting and contributing your ideas for application of these blessed words, in your setting and context. I can't wait to hear from you.


Peace- Ruth


1 comment:

  1. Dear Mom,
    Your life has always been about about furthering World peace. What a beautiful message these three words are, in helping to promote peace in our World and in our hearts. Love, Beth

    ReplyDelete