Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Science Enriches My Faith



My friend Ann- a prayerful church going Catholic was troubled,

     "I can't understand how God can be three yet one in the Trinity: the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?" 

On the other hand, my friend Pat said that she can't understand the scientific revelation that, "Every single atom in your body—the calcium in your bones, the carbon in your genes, the iron in your blood, the gold in your filling—was created in a star billions of years ago" (The Star In You- Peter Tyson The Star In You).

    "Can you believe?"

What do we do and to whom do we turn when the mysteries of faith challenge us with "Do you believe?"

Saints To The Rescue- 

I turn to the churches galaxy of shining saints like, Saint Augustine, Ignatius of Loyola, and Saint Patrick of Ireland. I love their kaleidoscopic imagery.

    

 "The Holy Trinity is like music- three notes but one harmony."

    


   "The Holy Trinity is like water: gas-ice-or liquid; three forms but one substance."

     






"The Holy Trinity is a like a three
leaf clover with one stem."





 However, in our personal experience we also realize that we play many roles. In my case, mother-wife-sister- yet I am Ruth to all three. Does the same situation not apply to you dear reader because of your various roles, whether they be three or thirty, we are nevertheless all identified by our one legal name. Does the above examples help put you more in the mindset, "I believe, Lord, help thou mine unbelief"?

 ---I am awed by the mystery of the magnitude of God-the Creator of the universe---I scubaed my thoughts of life under the sea; that watery world that liquifies our imagination. I elevate my doubts toward the radiance of the stars that illuminate my fears. I am reminded that the atoms in my physical body are scientifically proven to be the same substance as atoms of the stars. Now I ask you, who but our Trinitarian God-could create such unimaginable beauty?



A comet of gratitude to you Holy Spirit-for the thrilling imagery that provided a banquet of spiritual fruits for my journey to re-birth.




      


No comments:

Post a Comment